Tuesday, April 14, 2009

5k Shock Therapy


Yoga at 11am on my day off was a little too ambitious. But I did make it to the gym for a run, and I tried something new. This entire time, I was supposed to be doing this walk:run method. I've been doing my own form of it, mixing up the ratio, speeds, etc. I couldn't just stick with it. Until today. 

Today I tried something revolutionary. I walked 2 minutes and ran 1 minute for 45 minutes. In addition, I also used the same treadmill speeds for both. 3.7 mph:5.5 mph. Despite my headphones shocking my right ear during the run portion, it worked! Even better than working, I covered the same distance at 30 minutes (2.13 miles) as I did when I kept mixing things up. There was even a point sometime around minute 21, that I thought, "45 minutes will be easy!" That only lasted a few seconds. By the time I finished, I had run/walked 3.20 miles. That's a little more than a 5k!

Maybe running 26.2 miles this way isn't completely inconceivable. I will definitely need to get my eating habits and nutrition under control though. I had only eaten 2 granola bars when I ran at 1pm. So, I'm looking forward to hear what nutrition information they have to offer at the Kick-Off event this coming Saturday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment