Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Salvation

I went and got fitted for my new running shoes. Depending on who I've talked to, they should last me anywhere from 350-600 miles. The lady at the running store said these should last me through my marathon. I hope so, because they weren't cheap!

The fitting process:
I went in and they measured both of my feet and told me I should wear a size 7. That was a big surprise to me. I've been buying size 8-8.5 for the past few years and after a while the 8's begin to feel a little small. Anyway, she said I should go up to a size 8 because I'm running long distances (this is supposed to reduce the chances of black toe nails...yummm!) So, she sized me and then had me walk across the room and then stand on one foot like a flamingo. The results were that I'm a pronator. Who knew? 

After she decided what type/size shoe I needed I was presented with 4 brands and I tried one brand on each foot. It was like being at the eye doctor. I would tell her which one fit better or worse, until we went through all 4 pairs. The result was the Adidas AdiSTAR Salvation. 

The Salvation seems like the perfectly named shoe for me right now. In a lot of ways, that's what this run is for me. It's physical salvation for my body after years of neglect. It's mental salvation for my sanity by providing stability and focus in a time when I have no idea which path my life will take in the next few months. And, it's salvation for those people that will benefit from my fundraising efforts. Of course, I'm not talking about eternal salvation. You can't find that in a sneaker... Jesus wore sandals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment